Thursday, December 2, 2010

MY SOUL TO KEEP by Rachel Vincent

Soul Screamers Book 3
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Date published: June 2010
ISBN: 9780373210053
Contemporary Paranormal Young Adult
Trade Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by publisher through Netgalley


Kaylee Cavanaugh has dealt with demons, missing souls and more in the last few years. Now the true test is upon her as demon breath, a sick, addictive netherworld drug takes over in the human world. Kaylee finds that the one person she trusts the most has secrets…ones that can kill her. Can Kaylee find a way to stop this deadly drug before it destroys someone she loves?

Ms. Vincent does a great job in creating a series with tension, mystery and teenage angst amid the pages. In the latest installment in her Soul Screamers series, we find Kaylee off of being grounded and enjoying life again with her boyfriend Nash, another bean sidhe like herself. Ms. Vincent delivers a fast paced story that draws the reader in and keeps them glued to the pages to see what happens next for Kaylee and her friends. Some unexpected twists had me gasping in disbelief even as I flipped the pages to see what would happen next. With each page, I was drawn further and further into the world of Kaylee, Nash and everyone connected to them.

The stakes are high in this story than in the previous book, MY SOUL TO STEAL. This time danger hits close to her and I ran the gamut of emotions as I tried to figure out with Kaylee, who was giving the demon’s breath to the kids at school. Secrets abound, teenage angst arise and Kaylee is finally comfortable as a bean sidhe…well as comfortable as she can be when things start happening at school that has her racing to save not just her friends but someone close to her. Secrets, tension and more are played out well in MY SOUL TO KEEP. Ms. Vincent has a marvelous grasp on her characters and in each book, Kaylee continues to grow and mature into a person I would love to hang out with. Tight writing, fast paced storyline and revelations that will shock the reader in the end, will leave you breathless and searching to see when the next book is out (I know I did). Kaylee’s world is rocked to the core in this one and it’s one I am not sure she can ever recover from. Emotionally, Ms. Vincent delivers a home run as I felt Kaylee’s emotions-happiness, fear and utter betrayal-within the pages of this latest addition to the Soul Screamers Series.

I have to admit, out of all three books, so far this one was my favorite and I am so eager to see what this author has in store for Kaylee next. I do recommend you read this series in order as each book capitalizes on the last book. If you haven’t picked up this series, what are you waiting for? This is an author I highly recommend for pure reading enjoyment on a lazy afternoon.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: