Friday, January 21, 2011

THE IRON QUEEN by Julie Kagawa

Series: The Iron Fey, book 3
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Date Published: January 25th, 2011
ISBN 978-0-373-21018-3
Fantasy Young Adult
Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by Publisher by Netgalley


It’s been a year since Meghan Chase went into the fairy world of Nevernever and in that time battled the Iron Fey, fell in love with a Winter prince and found that she is also part Summer Fae, Part mortal. She thought the battle was over when she’d killed the Iron King, but a false king sits on the Iron throne and this time Meghan will have to beat this false king and hope to the heavens that the price won’t be too high for her to bear. This time, Meghan has no choice but to embrace her destiny or watch as the fairy world dies one inch at a time.

I have to admit, I cried like a baby at the end of THE IRON QUEEN. I was sucked into the continuation of Meghan, Ash and Puck’s story, so when a completely unexpected event happened, it had me shocked speechless for thirty seconds then the tears started. Ms. Kagawa delivers a story that leaves you feeling the gauntlet of emotions, ranging from fear, acceptance, determination and finally, love. I fell in love with this author from the first book, THE IRON KING, and found the story of the fae so fresh and unusual that I was spellbound from start to finish. The writing is tight and the story flows seamlessly from one part into another.

The reader is taken on a journey with Meghan, Ash, her Winter prince and all their friends and allies. It is one fraught with peril and in the quiet corners, of a love that refuses to die between one half mortal, half fae girl and a Winter Prince of the unseelie Court. The characters really grow into their own in this installment and we finally see past the icy camouflage of Ash. Meghan finally sees that she has to grow up and stop having others fight her fights for her. Ms. Kagawa delivers a story with a few twists thrown in, to keep the reader from becoming to complacent and I was struck at how much this author grew as a writer in her third installment in the Iron Fey series. I never would have anticipated what would happen in the rush to the climatic ending and found myself gasping in disbelief when I read the final pages.

If you are looking for a different take on fairy lore and a fast paced tale, then I highly recommend the entire Iron Fey series (IRON KING, IRON DAUGHTER, and IRON QUEEN) to enjoy. I do have to say that you should read this series in order as each book capitalizes on what happened in the past book. THE IRON QUEEN is one story I plan to read again in the future. I just hope I am not running through another box of tissues again. I am eager to see where she goes next for the Iron Fey series and hope I don’t have to wait too long for the next book.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: