Wednesday, February 9, 2011

THE LIFE YOU’VE IMAGINED by Kristina Riggle

Publisher: Avon
Date published: August 2010
ISBN: 978-0061706295
Contemporary
Trade Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


Here we are introduced to four women who ask themselves the question, “What if?”

Anna Geneva returns to her hometown of Haven to face her mother, the man she forsook and the path she didn’t take. An attorney, she is also coping with the death of a very close friend.

Cami Drayton is Anna’s best friend from high school. Circumstances have her moving back to Haven and moving in with her alcoholic father. A dark family secret looms over their head.

Maeve is Anna’s mother and she has never left Haven. Her husband left her and she has stayed in Haven in the hopes that he will return.

Amy Rickart strives for perfection. Although things are looking good for her and it seems she has the perfect man, she is still plagued by how she used to be.

Firstly, before I go into what I thought of this story, I must say that when I started reading it, I had a bit of trouble in the beginning keeping all the characters in order. Each chapter is headed with the name of a character and the chapter is told in that character’s voice, so I had to first memorize the who’s who. So, apart from a shaky start, the story is very nice. Poignant, sometimes sad, this is a story about women who are at an important stage of life and about the decisions they make. I enjoyed all the characters and could relate to some of them. This author cleverly writes about themes that are close to the heart and brings a lot of emotions to the fore. This isn’t a book I would normally pick up in a book shop, but I was happy to be able to read it to review. I think this is a story that many can relate to.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: