Tuesday, July 5, 2011

PROMISES by Marie Sexton

A Coda Series Story, Book 1
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Date published: January 2010
ISBN: 978-1-61581-378-0 (Print)
Contemporary GBLT (M/M)
Print
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by Self-Purchase


Jared Thomas loves his small town of Coda, Colorado. He lives, works and has an enjoyable life…one that is a bit lonely as well. Being the only gay man has its disadvantages as there are no single gay men to have a relationship with. Jared was fine with that until Matt Richards walks into the door and into his life. From then on, it’s misunderstandings, falling in love, secrets and a whole lot of sexual tension between the two men. Will they be able to find a way to work past everything that is thrown at them to have the relationship they deserve?

This was the first book by this author that I have read and I have to say I am hooked on her writing. PROMISES is a well written, character driven story that literally grabbed me from the first page. It had characters I fell in love with, a fast paced storyline and a few twists I sure did not see coming. Marie Sexton delivers, at times, a humorous, sexy and highly entertaining story in PROMISES.

Meet Jared Thomas. He loves living in his small town of Coda, Colorado. He has a great family, a stable job as one owner of a family run business. He was content with seeing his “booty call” man and enjoying being outside. Meeting Matt Richards was something he never anticipated. Cute, funny with a dry wit and he made Jared feel emotions he never anticipated feeling. Except Matt is straight…well that is what he thinks he is.

Matt is stuck tight in the closet and wants to stay that way in order to please everyone-his family, his job as a police officer and everyone in general. Falling for Jared was something he never expected when he first saw him. Jared is one character I would love to be friends with. He is funny, sweet and expressive plus he is out and gay to those who matter to him (namely his family and few friends). I love how this author really peeled the layers from him and Matt so the readers could see the heart of their issues throughout the story. Each time I felt like I knew the characters, another layer would be ripped open and you would see a whole new side of them. It made the story much more life like to me. There were a few secondary characters that left quite an impression on me so I am hoping the author revisits them soon.

PROMISES is more than about guy meets guy, fall in love and live happily ever after. It’s about rejection, friendship, strength, hope, desire as well as taking a risk for something you want with your whole heart. Each page I flipped led me further into this small town and the residents who live there. Ms. Sexton definitely delivers a strong story about two people finding out that falling in love was easy…now it’s about risking it all to have that forever love. Can two people find it in their hearts that they deserve that happily ever after?

Marie Sexton’s PROMISIES delivers more than a romance but strong ties to friends and family, new beginnings and knowing that, if you trust in yourself and in your partner, the world is not as scary as they thought. I have to admit though, the rising sexual tension through the storyline had me either squirming in my seat or ready to jump in a cold shower. Marie Sexton is a wonderful writer who can deliver captivating characters, a well told story and simmering sexual tension so thick, it’s a miracle the book didn’t go up in flames in my hands. I am now an eager fan ready to devour the next book in the Coda Series.

If you are looking for a story that leaves you with a smile and anxious for more, then grab PROMISES and settle in for an adventure of a lifetime. I look forward to seeing what else this author has up her sleeve for her readers in the future.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement for the book.

No comments: