Monday, November 21, 2011

PRETTY MONSTERS by Andrea Speed

Josh of the Damned, Book 1
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Date Published: October 30th, 2011
ISBN 978-1-937551-03-2
ASIN: B0060OIMKK
Horror, Comedy, M/M
E-book
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by Self-Purchase


Josh thought working the night shift at the Quik Mart would be boring, but that was before the hell portal opens up right in the parking lot. Now nights are full of weird monsters that, despite Hollywood movies, just want junk food and end up leaving. When the hottest monster Josh has ever seen comes walking into the Quik Mart, it is hard to not fall at his feet, begging for his touch. Josh tries to figure out if the attention this new Hot Guy is giving back is the best thing to happen to him, or if he is about to find out how deadly those monsters can be.

One thing I found out about PRETTY MONSTERS is, this is a perfect lunch time read when I am short on time. At a short fifteen pages, I really don’t want to get into too many details about the story, just so I don’t spoil it for those who haven’t picked it up yet. The author completely captivated me the moment I opened the book. With interesting characters, a fast moving plot line and an ending that left me hankering for more, Andrea Speed debuts a series that is just perfect for the Halloween holiday.

Meet Josh. He just got a job at the local Quik Mart and before he could settle in there, a hell portal opens up…in the parking lot no less. Now Josh is dealing with zombies, weird monsters and more at night when he is working, who, if he’s not mistaken only want junk food, not his brains. But when the “Hot Guy” comes in, Josh finds his night gets a little brighter…especially as this hot monster seems to be into Josh as well. Can Josh figure out if the monster he’s interested in wants Josh as a play toy or a chew toy? I really enjoyed Josh. He has a job that just got more interesting and scarier on top of it all. His narration of the story was what kept me interested and plus the sparks that fly between ‘Hot Guy’ and him was just icing on the cake, in my opinion.

The set up of this new series by Andrea Speed is one I highly enjoyed. It was funny, had a nice horror vibe going on that didn’t make me want to toss my cookies or hide behind the couch in fear and I fell in love with the story itself. PRETTY MONSTERS takes the normal monsters we see and gives them a twist (junk food addicted monsters anyone?) in this newest story from Andrea Speed. I can not wait to read the next installment of Josh of the Damned just so I can see if the Hot Guy Monster finally reels in Josh or not.

If you’re looking for the perfect Halloween tale to make shivers run up your spine, then grab PRETTY MONSTERS and settle in for a fun time. I can guarantee you will laugh then sigh over Josh and his attraction to one of the PRETTY MONSTERS.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: