Wednesday, November 23, 2011

SUITE NINETEEN by Mel Bossa

Publisher: Bold Strokes books
September 2011
ISBN 9781602825642
Paranormal/Urban Fantasy GBLT
Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained E-Book ARC by Publisher via Netgalley


Psychic Ben Lebeau escapes from his small town after his grandmother dies and moves to the big city. Once there and settled at Shilts Manor Lofts, he becomes entranced by his neighbor, Ezra Collins and soon finds himself pursued by Lennox Van Kemp, a mysterious man who draws Ben in his inner circle. Soon Ben finds himself fighting not just for his life but also for his mind as he finds himself trying to figure out Lennox’s plans, while making sure Ben stays sane. For what Lennox plans dates back to Christ and will shake the foundations of Ben and Ezra’s world…unless they can stop him before it is too late.

This was the first book I’ve read by this author and I wasn’t sure what this one would be like. The story is plainly very intense and frankly at times had me scratching my head. The writing was good but there were quite a few formatting mistakes in this version, unfortunately they kept drawing me out of the storyline. The characters were plentiful and I felt I had to keep a small score card on who was who. I felt the story could have been tighter with a few less secondary characters trying to jockey for screen time, so to speak. The characters of Ben and Ezra were interesting, well written and intriguing. I enjoyed their scenes together in the beginning, even though Ezra made me want to smack him with his constant hot-cold attitude towards Ben.

Author Mel Bossa delivers a story that will at times, have you scratching your head in disbelief and other times wonder if, in fact, you are going insane yourself. The plotline was confusing. At first I thought it was a neat paranormal story but within a few chapters, the story changed and branched out in so many directions, it was hard to keep track of it all. Not to say the author didn’t have an interesting storyline idea, but putting it all together like this was a bit hard to read or even enjoy at times. SUITE NINETEEN is an interesting tale if a little bit a confusing. Mel Bossa is a talented writer who may appeal to other readers, though I don’t think I will pick anything else up by this author in the future.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: