Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A TOUCH OF GOLD by Joyce and Jim Lavene

Publisher: Berkley
Date published: March 2011
ISBN: 9780425240243
Mass Market Paperback
Paranormal mystery
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


Max Caudle, curator of the Duck Historical Museum gave a wooden chest full of gold to the museum and tales of pirates have been the talk of the locals. But someone is after this gold and one day someone fires a cannonball into the museum, killing Max. The gold is stolen and Mayor Dae O’Donnell, who was in the museum at the time, is injured. Dae has had the ability to touch objects and find out its history. After the accident, this ability has been greatly amplified, so much so that she now wears gloves to avoid touching everything. Ex-FBI agent, Kevin Brickman, who is also Dae’s love interest wants to help her find out what her visions mean and hopefully stop the pirate from killing someone again.

This is an interesting and entertaining story. This author team brings to life their characters and setting. I liked the bits of local history that were thrown in and I enjoyed most of the characters. As always, when reading a cozy mystery I try to figure out who the bad guy is and I really didn’t get the ending until the end, so that was another plus point for me. This is the sort of book you want to read in one sitting as it’s so enjoyable. I am also a fan of the paranormal, so these elements were another plus for me. It seems the romance between Dae and Kevin is just starting, so I suppose that it will blossom in future books. This is the second book in the series and I haven’t read the first. It didn’t stop me enjoying this one, but I will certainly get the first one too.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: