Friday, February 17, 2012

SHADOW RAIDERS by Margaret Weis and Robert Krammes

Book 1 of the Dragon Brigade
Publisher: DAW
Date published: May 2011
ISBN 0756406625
Fantasy
Hardcover
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


A Royal Armory Journeyman has disappeared with an invention that could revolutionize warfare. Countess de Marjolaine who is adviser to the King and Stephano’s mother, hires Lord Captain Stephano de Guichen to find the man. Stephano and his group of friends who call themselves the Cadre of the Lost are always in need of funds and think they have found an easy job. But it turn out to be much more difficult than they imagine as they are not the only ones interested in the invention. Father Jacob Northrop is investigating the mysterious death of one hundred nuns who were supposedly killed by demons from hell. Stephano joins forces with Father Jacob to fit these demons. Is it now the end of the world? Answers need to be found and they may not be the ones that are being looked for.

First, I have to say that I have been a fan of Margaret Weis since her Dragonlance writings and this is the first book I’ve read from her since this time. The cover already hooked me as it shows dragons and I love dragons. Secondly, I’m a big fantasy fan and it’s always a joy for me to find a new series. I was very happy to get the chance to read this one and I will continue to find out what happens next! This has all the typical aspects of a good fantasy story. There is magic, which a large amount of people can use, strange creatures who are either allies of man, indifferent or downright aggressive and of course, not to forget, dragons. The characters are well rounded, the dialogue is well written and the world building realistic. You will feel you are in medieval times. When you read this book, you will be taken to another world with exciting adventures and magic. The plot is involving but I had no problem following it. I was pulled in and the story took me through a lot of emotions. I enjoyed it a lot and I am sure you will too.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: