Friday, July 6, 2012

INDIA BLACK: A MADAM OF ESPIONAGE MYSTERY by Carol K. Carr

Book 1 in series
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Date published: January 4th, 2011
ISBN 9780425238660
Mystery Historical
Paperback
Obtained via Publisher
Reviewed by Dawn


When Sir Archibald Latham dies in her brothel, madam India Black finds her life changed as she is drawn into the world of spies, deadly state secrets and the games spies’ plays. Forced to help a mysterious British Spy named French, India will dodge Russian agents while trying to resist the charms of the man beside her.

I have to admit, I normally don’t go reading historical mysteries but this charmed me right from the beginning. With a strong female main character and an intriguing storyline, INDIA BLACK delivered me straight into Victorian London with a bang. I was amazed that this was a debut book; the author created such a vivid portrait of Victorian England and the characters were quite life-like that the reader is hard pressed to not enjoy this rollicking romp. The author delivers a few twists that I didn’t see coming and the story itself was fun.

India Black is a strong, intelligent heroine that I adored. She wasn’t a shrinking violet of a character and she had wit which had me smiling at times as she went head to head with the British spy, French. The sparks between these two are combustible and gave a depth to the story as well. The characters are very well written, almost like they are in the same room with you as they tell you a story over a dinner party. The author delivers some twists and I was amazed to find out this was Ms. Carr’s debut book. It certainly didn’t feel like it to me while I read INDIA BLACK.

If you enjoy strong intriguing characters, a very well researched historical mystery to sink your teeth into, then I highly recommend INDIA BLACK and I am eager to see what else this author has in store for the esteemed madam. Will she continue to resists French, the mysterious British Spy, even as danger mounts against her? I look forward to seeing where this author goes in her exciting series.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement.

No comments: