Wednesday, August 29, 2012

AFTER THE ABDUCTION by Sabrina Jeffries

Publisher: Avon Books
Date published: June 4, 2002
ISBN 9780380818044
Historical Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Lynne
Obtained via Publisher
  

Two years ago, Lady Juliet Laverick found herself abducted by a dashing scoundrel, Morgan Pryce, and is now determined to bring him to justice. His actions have disrupted her life and set the gossips into play as they attempt to ruin her reputation.

When she and her sister, Rosalind, and brother-in-law, Griff Knighton, track him down at Charnwood, Juliet is shocked to learn that Morgan is missing. She soon locks horns with the master of Charnwood, Lord Sebastian Templemore, who professes to be Morgan’s twin brother. Disbelieving, Juliet attempts to get the truth from him, that he is, indeed, Morgan Pryce, the man who kidnapped her. The man she fell in love with.

But Lord Templemore dares not tell Juliet the truth, despite the fact that he has fallen in love with her himself, despite his controlled attempts to keep the word ‘love’ from his life. Despite his attempts to hide the fact that yes, he is indeed the one who abducted her and is hiding the truth...for reasons of his own.

AFTER THE ABDUCTION by Sabrina Jeffries is a well-written, delightful romp into yet another bedchamber of a rich, handsome rogue.

AFTER THE ABDUCTION is the third in a series, following the book, A NOTORIOUS LOVE. I did not know this at first, but realized soon after I began reading that there had to be previous books. It took me a little while to figure out what exactly was going on, since this is the first in the series that I have read. However, due to Ms. Jeffries great writing talent, I was soon able to get the gist of the story and move forward.

Ms. Jeffries has great skill at plotting and dialogue, and I greatly enjoyed the humor between the characters, especially between our hero and heroine, Sebastian and Juliet. This is what kept me turning pages, although things were a bit slow in the beginning, perhaps because I had not read either of the first two books in this series. The characters are believable, and it is easy to lose oneself in the pages of AFTER THE ABDUCTION.

As a fan of historical romance, I can attest to the fact that this story has everything one would expect from this genre: a great story, lots of romance and sensual scenes, good conflict between not just our hero and heroine, but between other characters, too, family members as well as between Sebastian and Juliet’s previous suitors, along with some mystery.

Even the minor characters are believable in AFTER THE ABDUCTION. I can find no flaws that left me wondering about things. The pacing, too, in AFTER THE ABDUCTION seems adequate, and once I was halfway through this book, things really picked up as I devoured the rest of the story. The verbal sparring and unusual occurrences easily grabbed my interest and kept me riveted. I especially enjoyed when Rosalind and Juliet showed up at the duel their men were about to fight, with dueling intent of their own.

If one is seeking a pleasant, fun way to spend an afternoon, I would recommend AFTER THE ABDUCTION. However, I believe that reading the other two books in this series first, A DANGEROUS LOVE and A NOTORIOUS LOVE, will make things all the more enjoyable.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: