Thursday, October 11, 2012

DELUSION IN DEATH by J. D. Robb



In Death Series, Book 35
Publisher: Putnam
Date published: September 11th, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-399-15881-0
Hardcover
Contemporary/Mystery/Suspense
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Library







In a normal happy hour at a local bar, Lt. Eve Dallas and the NYPD’s finest will find themselves deep in a case that will turn stomachs and test each of them in some way.
For in NYC, a murderer has unleashed a toxic mixture that had over hundred people dead and it’s a race against the clock as Eve, Roarke and their colleagues try to solve the case before another dies…for this toxin can go airborne at any time.

Author J. D. Robb is in fine form in the latest In Death series novel in DELUSION IN DEATH. With her trademark style, Ms. Robb delivers one wild ride from start to finish and frankly, each time I open one of the In Death books, I think to myself that Ms. Robb cannot top her last book. I am always proven wrong and in her latest release in the series, I was blown away the minute the first page is cracked open. DELUSION IN DEATH faces something everyone fears in this day and age-Terrorism and I have to admit, Ms. Robb delivers one spine tingling moment after another. I was hooked after the first chapter and this time, the story is more character driven than some of the last few books but by no means took away from the storyline at all. I was on the edge of my seat, racing alongside Eve as I figured out the puzzle pieces of who did this horrific crime and why. The readers find that Eve and Roarke are still dealing with the aftereffects of what happened in New York to Dallas as well. We find some things are resolved as well as deliver on much of the many mentioned Urban Wars that this series revolves around. I found it truly intriguing to see how much more information the author gave us in this book than others in the series.

DELUSION IN DEATH is the thirty-fifth book in the In Death Series and frankly, I find this is an author who manages to find fresh new stories/cases for the reader to enjoy, if you are a newbie to the series or a longtime fan. Ms. Robb delivers a story that will leave you breathless until the very end when a twist in the storyline had me going “OH MY GOD!” several times under my breath.  This is an author who knows her characters intimately, who lets them slowly evolve with each book-from Eve to Roarke to Eve’s relationship with Peabody and more. She lets the characters shine, shows the reader the hidden shadows beneath them and you fall in love with them all. Author J. D. Robb kicks it out of the park for her latest installment in the In Death series and I am eager to see what else this author’s imagination can conjure up in the future.

If you are looking for an edge of the seat thrill ride with intriguing characters and a fast paced storyline then I highly recommend JD Robb’s In Death series. I do suggest you start from the beginning of the series (Naked in Death) to see how much Eve has evolved in the series and I bet you that you will fall in love with her, Roarke and everyone else in the series as much as I do each time I open one of these books. This was fabulously written and full of intriguing characters that get better with each book. Now how long until book thirty-six is out?

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

 

No comments: