Sunday, October 28, 2012

SHADOWHEART by Tad Williams



Publisher: DAW
Date published: November 1st, 2011
ISBN: 978-0-7564-0695-0
Paperback
High Fantasy
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher




Southmarch Castle is in the crosshairs between the ancient and immortal Qar and their enemies, the god-king, Autarch of Xis, who is insane. The two defenders of Shadowmarch Castle are far away, fighting their own battles and trying to stay alive. But they don’t know that a terrible evil is awakening beneath the castle and it will take all that Princess Briony, Prince Barrick and their small band of allies and friends to win this final battle for if they lose, they not only lose the world they are trying to protect but this ancient evil will encase their world in darkness forever.

I have to admit, I have never read a Tad Williams story and being this is the fourth volume in the series, I felt a bit lost with all the characters and past storyline remarks. That being said, even though I felt like I needed to read the other three books, SHADOWHEART is one pulse pounding, wild ride from start to finish. Mr. Williams is a masterful storyteller, one who can world build with the greats in High Fantasy such as J. R. R. Tolkein and Robert Jordan, both authors I love to read. SHADOWHEART is the final climatic storyline for a band of characters that are trying to save their world from eternal darkness and live to see another day. The author lets the story flow nicely, the characters fairly leap off the pages and I felt like I was on a roller coaster with all the twists and turns the story went But I have got to admit, it was one heck of ride, especially down to those last few pages as the action heated up and you never knew who would live & who would die.

SHADOWHEART delivers a stellar ending to a series that any reader who enjoys high fantasy will want to check out. I just recommend reading the first tree volumes first in order to get the whole storyline and cast of characters. This is an author who knows how to create a believable world with intricate sub-plots that draws the reader in and doesn’t let them go until the very last page is read. Even though I didn’t read the first three volumes, the storyline stands up on its own and kept my interest. I found this is an author who I can’t wait to explore more of in the future. But first I want to check out the first three books of this series and see how the whole thing began.

If you enjoy a series that has intricate plots, intriguing cast of characters and a storyline that keeps you hooked till the very end, then try the SHDOWHEART series and settle in for one wild, rollicking ride.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: