Tuesday, December 4, 2012

WHAT I DID FOR LOVE by Susan Elizabeth Phillips



Avon
December 29th, 2009
978-0-06-135151-8
Contemporary Romance Fiction
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher


 

Georgia York used to be one of the top film actresses and now she can’t get a job. With the scandal of her husband leaving her, a career in tatters, Georgie is at the end of her rope. Escaping to Las Vegas sounded like a great plan in her head…too bad it was far from it especially after she meets, again, Bromwell Shepard, her former co-star who made her life a living hell on the set. But she definitely didn’t think she would be married to Bramwell as well as fighting her growing feelings for the man. When they say what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas never anticipated a Hollywood actress and actor giving the performance of their lives especially when they end up falling in love on top of it all.

Frankly, I really wanted to enjoy this book immensely as I have enjoyed this author’s work before but for the life of me, I just could not like it at all. One part was the character of Bramwell. He comes off as rude, annoying and despicable the first half of the book then he does a 360 and is sweet and nice. For me as a reader that just annoys me to no end. I like bad boy heroes with hearts of gold, not heroes who come across as an arrogant ass and then want you to fall in love with them. Unfortunately that alone left a bad taste in my mouth as I flipped the pages. Ms. Phillips is a talented writer and she always satisfied me with her books in the past but with WHAT I DID FOR LOVE, I felt it fell short to her other books. Her humor was almost non-existent and her characters came across as one dimensional at times.

Meet Georgie York, a fading sitcom star who just got dumped by her husband and with her career in tatters, Georgie is not sure what to do next. Escaping to Las Vegas sounded like heaven but quickly after being there, she finds the one man who drove her nuts and knew how to hit all her buttons. Bramwell Shepard is one man she should stay clear of…except he is sexy as hell and Georgie soon finds herself married to the man. Georgie was an interesting character to read. At times she comes across as whiny and miserable but other times, the reader could see her true worth. Those moments made the book shine and almost made this book enjoyable. Georgie worried about real issues such as weight gain, getting a part in a show, etc and it made her seem like a human being, flawed and not perfect like celebrities sometimes may be thought of. The secondary characters are interesting at times and also annoying. I felt they were just there to keep the story moving along and did nothing to keep me entertained.

WHAT I DID FOR LOVE had some nice moments where you could see the author I fell in love with in the past shine through but they fell flat with characters that you either liked or didn’t. It really didn’t touch me like her past books did but I think others may enjoy it more than I did.

If you enjoy a story that has some signature moments of Ms. Phillips past books, then grab this one. I hope you like it more than I did. Ms. Phillips is a talented author but this one just didn’t make the grade with me.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement.





 

No comments: