Wednesday, March 27, 2013

We Chat with Donna Gallagher



We recently chatted with Donna Gallagher and asked her a few things we thought readers would like to know.  Here's what she had to say:

How would you describe yourself using only five words?

Reliable, mother, reader, sports-fan, obsessive.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

I don’t know if it would be classed as a guilty pleasure but I watch eight games of my favorite sport every week.

Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you. 

I left home and school when I was fifteen and I don’t recommend it.

How do you get yourself in the mood to write?

I usually have to wait for the voices to talk to me and I have the sports channel on in the background.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?

I was both thrilled and excited by the release of the first two books in my League of Love series. Talk about a boost to the self-esteem, after spending so many years being a mother and wife finding I could write a story that a publisher would find worthy to contract, was truly a glorious moment. I was forty-eight and finally decided what I wanted to be when I grew up.

But the release of Laura’s Light holds a special place in my heart because with this book I get the chance to step up onto my soap box. We all love a flawed hero, so when my muse began his story I did not hesitate to tell it.

While Trevor may not be real, mental illness is. I don’t presume to be an authority on mental health issues but I do know what it is like when a family is touched by this misunderstood and at times ignored disease. Many don’t like to talk about it or feel uncomfortable when confronted by those who are trying to manage their illness – but it is prevalent in our society.

I believe the more we speak openly about this health problem the easier it will be for those that are struggling to come forward and ask for help.

 

No comments: