Tuesday, April 30, 2013

THE FLESH CARTEL 1: CAPTURE by Rachel Haimowitz & Heidi Belleau



Part One in Serial Series
Riptide Publishing
October 1st, 2012
978-1-937551-68-1
Psychosexual thriller
E-book
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by self-purchase

 

Orphaned brothers Mat and Dougie Carmichael are trying to move ahead in their lives. Mat is a MMA fighter who always wants to win since he uses that prize money to pay for Dougie’s college books, tuition and more. Life was moving on until the night Dougie gets home and finds himself in the middle of a nightmare even as Mat tries to save his little brother. Mat and Dougie are about to find out what and who kidnapped them even as pain, rape and more fill their days. The only thing keeping them both sane is the bond between brothers and the love they share for one another.

Let me state right from the beginning this is a brutal, brutal book. This is a serial story so there is no romance, happy ever after or anything. If you like light, fluffy fun books I suggest you stay away from this one. Even I went outside my comfort zone and found myself running the gauntlet of emotions the entire sixty plus pages of CAPTURE. You will be horrified, on the edge of your seat and trying to not look away from the e-reader to collect yourself. This is by far a dark, dark story that will either enchant readers or turn them off. I am not sure which I am yet of the two. I loved the two authors’ lyrical writing but the sheer brutalness took that enjoyment away from me. After each more degrading scene after another left me curled up in a ball and whimpering after the last page was read. The story stays long after you are finished with the book. It kept poking itself in my brain, showing me the scenes that just would not go away.

THE FLESH CARTEL 1: CAPTURE is a story that will leave you emotionally wrung out. It is a hard story to enjoy and one that I found was just too much for me to handle. The violence and everything kicks things off immediately and doesn’t let up even after that last page was turned. I don’t think this serial series is for me but I bet there are a few readers who would love to read this introduction to The Flesh Cartel.  Read at your own risk and make sure to if you do read it, to take a break every now and again, kiss your family and it might help deal with the dark nature of this series.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement

 

No comments: