Tuesday, July 9, 2013

THE NEWCOMER by Robyn Carr

A Thunder Point Novel, Book Two
Harlequin MIRA
June 25th, 2013
978-0-7783-1452-3
Contemporary
E-ARC
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher via Netgalley


 
When Deputy Sheriff Mac McCain decides to go for the package that is single mom Gina James, well let’s just say things go better-or worse- than he imagines. When Mac’s ex-wife shows up to cause trouble, when Gina’s daughter finds herself falling after a bad break up and a very bad sexting text that has Ashley spiraling out of control, when friends like Cooper and Sarah are finding that the bumps they anticipated in their relationship is more than they can handle or so it seems to them,…this is when Mac, Gina and all their friends and family wonder what else will happen. But things happen in Thunder Point and the small town will show these special people that with enough love, faith and humor they can get through anything. Welcome to Thunder Point, a small town with a big heart.

I fell in love with Robyn Carr’s newest series in the first book, The Wanderer and in her second book in the Thunder Point series, THE NEWCOMER; we find that things are changing in Thunder Point to some of my favorite characters. Ms. Carr literally had me enthralled right from the beginning of this latest addition in the new series set up on the Oregon coast and the readers will fall more in love with this wonderful cast characters as I did. The writing is tight, story fast paced and you get sucked in right from the start as you find yourselves wondering what happened with this character or that one. There isn’t one character I enjoyed the most. Each one stole a piece of my heart, either by being the wonderful person they are or by doing or saying something that left me humming in pleasure. Ms. Carr is a fantastic storyteller who manages to tell a few sub-plot lines while giving Mac and Gina the story the readers hoped they would get.

In THE NEWCOMER we find the residents of Thunder Point in various stages of their lives. We meet some new characters and a few old friends who make you want to scream with joy or with dread. Ms. Carr has this way of creating believable yet at times, quite vulnerable characters that you can’t help but love to death. The small town aspect is captured perfectly and the reader is swept away as they find out what happened after book one, The Wanderer, left off. The characters are center stage and we get to see inside some new faces as well which had me cheering a few times. I couldn’t pick just one to cheer but many. The storylines between a few main characters never felt stilted and it seamlessly moved into the different sub-plot then back again with ease. The characters are well written, multi-dimensional and I for one, want to make a run up the Oregon coast to experience it myself.

THE NEWCOMER is a wonderful well written story that left me aching for more. The characters are intriguing; the way the author manages to make this small town so enjoyable even with a wide variety of personalities populating it had me eager for more. I am looking forward to more stories set in this wonderful small town and hope you check it out as well. THE NEWCOMER is an utter delight to read on a lazy afternoon and I hope you will join me in visiting Thunder Point in the future. I do recommend you have a tissue close by as some scenes are quite emotional yet intensely satisfying in every way. The humor balances the serious aspects at times that had me flipping the pages quickly to see where it would go next. THE NEWCOMER is a perfect afternoon read that left me wishing book three comes out very soon.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement

 


No comments: