Friday, July 12, 2013

Welcome Author Dani Collins Today

Hi Dawn, thanks for having me here today.

To get us started can you tell us a little about what you are working on or have coming out?

I have a Harlequin Presents coming out in December called More Than A Convenient Marriage? It will be a 2 for 1 promo with my first book, which only came out in the UK as a Mills & Boon Modern. That was called No Longer Forbidden? The heroine in the December book, Adara, is the sister of No Longer Forbidden’s hero, Nic. I’m currently working on their younger brother’s story, Theo, and will eventually write the story of their youngest brother, Demitri.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Many! Coffee, chocolate, wine, for starters. I know they’re all bad for me, I try to say no like I mean it. Then I think, well, it’s Friday and I’ve been good all week...

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Honestly? I really love where I live (Southern British Columbia). The climate is great, there aren’t too many bugs or other unfriendlies (except bears, cougars and wolves, but I hardly ever see them).

I have family in Australia, however, and winters do feel a bit long at times, so if I could twinkle my nose and have it all, I’d follow the sun and spend half my year down under.

How do you get yourself in the mood to write?

Writing time is precious to me, always carved out from other things so the mere fact I ‘get to write’ is motivation enough. I’m excited to be able to sit down and type out the words that have been teasing my mind for hours. Yes, there are days when I’m forcing myself out of bed at five a.m. and my brain is a giant whiteboard, but certain types of hot caffeinated beverages are my carrot and I’m soon tapping away.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?

That depends, what do you like to read? I hope romance, but even if that’s not your thing, you might like Hustled To The Altar as it’s a humorous caper. Do you like fantasy or historical romance? That’d be The Healer, which might also appeal to the more mainstream reader. If you love Harlequin Presents, well, I adore Paolo from Proof Of Their Sin—he’s Italian—but I’d also remind you that the December book is 2 for 1. You can’t beat that.


Is there something special you do to celebrate when one of your books is released? 

I’ve been given champagne as gifts and keep forgetting to put it in the fridge. The day I got The Call, I had to go to my day job right after and did remember to put the bubbly in to chill. When I got home, my parents came over and we Facetimed with Australia and that was a lovely celebration of a huge accomplishment.

As for release days, I’ve noticed that with Harlequin, the release dates are a bit fluid. Proof of Their Sin, my current book, officially comes out July first, but it was available off their website early in June and then everywhere else by mid June, turning up in my local stores on the 25th. I was planning a splashy blog on my site for launch day, but it’s already out so that seems a bit redundant now.

I suppose I could still have a glass of bubbly, more as a wrap up. Good idea. Wait right here while I go put the bottle in the fridge.

Is music a factor for you while you are writing? Do certain songs put you in the right frame of mind to write certain stories?

I’m a silence girl. Music is a distraction for me and that bums me out because I love it when authors say, “Here’s my soundtrack for when I wrote such and such.” Here’s mine: Tweet tweet tweet, wind in trees. Or rain on roof. Or Cat meowing to be let in. No, out. No, back in. Kids being rambunctious downstairs until I go to the top of the stairs and tell them to pipe down. Husband mowing the lawn or yelling up to me, “Did you feed the cat?”

If you could collaborate with one author who would it be?

I may have an opportunity to collaborate with a couple of authors coming up soon. It’s not official yet so I can’t reveal details, but I’m excited. Please stay tuned to my blog and Facebook page where I’ll announce it when I can.

Would you like to share a blurb from Proof Of Their Sin?

A beautiful mistake…

Pregnant. Lauren Bradley’s heart stops-there’s only one man who can be the father and it’s not her late husband, the man everyone thinks is a celebrated war hero….

Ravaged with guilt at sleeping with his best friend’s wife, Paolo Donatelli closes his heart to Lauren forever. But in nine months’ time, the proof of their incredible night together will be there for the world to see.

Marriage is Paolo’s answer to avoiding more scandal, but it’s Lauren’s worst fear-she still bears the scars from the first time she said I do. Can she trust Paolo enough to reveal the truth?

Thanks for coming. Is there anything else you want to add?

Just that I’ll be signing at RWA’s Literacy Autographing in Atlanta next week, plus giving a workshop on the Thursday morning, so please come say hello if you’ll be attending either event. Alternately, you can find me online here:


Buy Links:





3 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

Wonderful excerpt - so many questions in my mind!! Now I'll definitely have to read it, maybe with wine in hand! Cheers on your bubbling writing career. - Celia

nora snowdon said...

hey dani,
wow, you been busy! great interview and good luck with the multiple releases. good idea to write several genres to entice everyone! :)

Dani Collins said...

Hi Celia, Hi Nora,

Celia, that's so sweet of you to toast me.

Nora, I wish I could say it was intentional and well thought out, but it's just happening this way and I'm just counting my blessings. ;)

cheers,
Dani