Tuesday, October 22, 2013

AGAINST THE EDGE by Kat Martin


The Raines of Wind Canyon Series, Book Eight
Harlequin Mira
April 30th, 2013
978-0-7783-1443-1
Romantic Suspense
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Author’s Publicist
4 Hearts


Former Navy SEAL Ben Slocum, finding out he was a father was a shock to the system then finding out his son is now missing and as he listens to social worker Claire Chastain, it was by someone who wants revenge against Claire and Sam’s deceased mother. It was enough to boggle the mind but Ben is determined to save his son and get this mystery solved. As Ben and Claire race against the clock to find his son, these two never anticipated the sparks to start flying the moment their eyes met. But Ben has one shot to save his son, keep the woman he is growing to love and stop the bad guy. If he fails, he loses not only his life but also the lives of two people he is beginning to care for.

Wow is all I can say after this edge of the seat ride Ms. Martin delivers in AGAINST THE EDGE. With her trademark writing style, Ms. Martin pulls out all the stops as she tells a tale of a confirmed bachelor finding he has a child, one that needs his help desperately. Add in a few twists that leave you gasping in shock, well lets just say Ben and Claire are in a race against the clock to find this little boy before it is too late. I love Ms. Martin’s Raines of Wind Canyon series and each book delivers a pulse pounding ride from start to finish. I have to admit, AGAINST THE EDGE was by far the strongest of all of the books. You got a mystery to solve, bad guys to stop and love that sneaks up on you and smacks you on the head all wrapped up with a bow. This is truly one of her strongest stories in the series and one I could not put down. I read this one in less than 4 hours and totally forgot to eat, breathe or even make dinner. Ms. Martin pulled me in right at the beginning and would not let go, no matter how I tried to put the book down. I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next and the few twists she threw in the story left me reeling in shock as I flipped the pages quickly to see what happens next.

The cast of characters are diverse and very well written. Each one has a personality that drew me in and this is an author who knows how to keep her readers entertained with characters that are multi-dimensional and shows their flaws in all their glory. I really enjoyed the way the sparks flew between confirmed bachelor Ben and social worker Claire. Their dynamic was totally enjoyable and I loved how Claire kept Ben on his toes even as they both fought a losing battle to falling for one another.

AGAINST THE EDGE is a marvelous story that leaves you breathless until the very end. If you are looking for a new series to enjoy I highly recommend you grab the Raines of Wind Canyon and settle in for some entertaining reading. I do want to stress even though the books can be read in any order, I recommend reading them in order to get the full impact of all the characters that show up in the books. I can’t wait to see what this author does next in this series.


This is an objective review and not an endorsement





No comments: