Saturday, October 19, 2013

DANGEROUS LIAISONS by Holly Meadowes

Publisher: Siren

Date published: July 2013
ISBN:
978-1-62740-169-2
Romantic Suspense, M/M
E-book
Reviewed by Helen



Obtained via publisher

Rating: 2

 

Axel and Sayid are both professional assassins for competing companies. The first time they meet it’s lust at first sight, which has a most satisfactory outcome for them both. But their second meeting is on the job and this time finding a suitable solution isn’t going to be easy.

I wanted to like this book, I really did. The basic premise is a very good one. Assassins working for agencies that don’t necessarily cooperate with each other is a great starting point for a plot. I also loved the idea of Syria after the current civil war, with the people at peace and happy, and prosperity returning to the region. That is an outcome no one could argue with. So I settled in for a blissful read. But I didn’t get it. The sex is rather rough, but very hot. The author writes red-hot carnality, no question about that. There were also some nice scenes where the men demonstrate their workplace skills. That was well done too.

Unfortunately for the bulk of the book I kept getting pulled out of the story. For example, one hero has a shower, gets dressed, is suddenly half undressed (with no help from the other hero), gets dressed again, then has a shower. Um, what?  There were also too many grammatical errors, and the author has a tendency to break into second person in the middle of third person narrative. My inner editor kept reaching for the red ink as I was constantly pulled out of the story. Finally, and it’s just my personal opinion as a reader, but the ending didn’t cut it for me. (Please note the word ME here. Your mileage may differ).


This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

 

1 comment:

QueenofQuill said...

Sounds like a premise I'd like too, though 2 stars doesn't sound promising. Is it just the editing and inconsistencies like that shower thing because I think I could get past that. Although, it does get annoying.

To me this doesn't sound like a bad book, just a bad editor.