Wednesday, March 25, 2015

TOO DANGEROUS TO DESIRE by Alexandra Benedict



Too Series
Avon
October 6th, 2009
978-0-06-117047-8
Historical Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher
3 Hearts


Adam Westmore is a broken man and lives away from society as he walks along the ocean’s edge, enjoying the solitude around him. Until that solitude is broken by Evelyn Waye who is determined to not marry a depraved prince. She is desperate to escape the marriage and sees no choice except death. When Adam sees Evelyn, he offers his protection, hiding his real identity. But Evelyn knows the prince will find her and cause her more harm than she ever knows. She wants to trust Adam but as secrets swirl around them, can these two find a way to bridge their wariness as danger streaks towards them?

This was an okay book after I read The Infamous Rogue. The author keeps the pace up and quickly captures my attention with complex characters, intriguing storyline and a setting that gives the story lushness about it. There were two things I had an issue with in TOO DANGEROUS TO DESIRE. One was the main characters. The author does a great job in capturing James’ anguish, his determination and more amid the pages that Evelyn is basically lost besides him. She felt colorless to me to the point where she fades from view as Adam comes on the page. Adam has depth and more while it felt like the author forgot about Evelyn who needed that depth and maturity as the story moved along. The best part in my opinion was the scenes between Adam and his brother. Their history plays within the story as anger, guilt, love and more wind their way through them, leaving me on the edge of my seat. I wanted more with these two characters over the scenes with Adam and Evelyn.

The other thing I had an issue was the ending was both rushed as well as entertaining. I felt it could have been drawn out more rather than the whole, ‘this happened to cause this and boom! Voila, the end’. The author doesn’t let the characters see where their hearts lead them and it felt like she was pushing it onto the readers to the point that we never appreciated their self-discovery of their feelings for one another. That dropped the rating a bit in my opinion as I felt we needed those scenes to appreciate Adam and Evelyn’s happy ever after.

TOO DANGEROUS TO DESIRE is an okay read that will fill a lazy afternoon with though I am hoping the author goes back to her swashbuckling heroes who spar with strong willed women before admitting they fell in love with said woman. That said, this is one series I think I might not go back to read though I am eager to see what else this author has in store for the readers in the future.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement


 

No comments: