Friday, December 11, 2015

THE FINAL CUT by Catherine Coulter & J.T. Ellison




A Brit in the FBI Series, Book One
Berkley Jove
September 2nd, 2014
978-0-515-15452-8
Thriller, Mystery/Suspense, Action-Adventure
Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Self-Purchase
4 Hearts



The priceless jewel called the Koh-i-Noor Diamond is stolen by the infamous thief, the Fox, from NYC’s Metropolitan Museum of Art and it is up to Scotland Yard’s Nicholas Drummond and the FBI to solve the case. Because this time, there is more at stake than just the jewel but lives and country as the legend of a curse weaves its way around them.

I got to admit this was the first time I picked this book up on a whim and I was hooked by the end of chapter one. These two authors created something so intriguing and wonderful to read in THE FINAL CUT, it just blew me away. I was glued to the pages until the very end of the book and even then I was on the computer looking up books two and three. These are two of the most talented authors around and I, for one, am in awe of their writing. This is the first book in their collaboration and into a new series as well. There were appearances of some of Ms. Coulter’s FBI Series characters and since I haven’t read that series yet, I added it to my reading list. The story flows smoothly and at a fast pace. It kept me riveted, especially as the action heated up and the reader is literally on the edge of its seat as they flip the pages looking to see what happens next for Drummond and his FBI cohort, Agent Mike Caine. The authors do a marvelous job in weaving a story around a legend of a curse and jewel that spans the centuries. I was intrigued by the jewel’s real life history and liked that the authors gave us a glimpse into it at the end of the book. It made the story seem more alive in a way to m e in my opinion.

Meet New Scotland Yard Inspector Nicholas Drummond. A former spy for the British Crown, he now is working his way through the ranks after leaving the Foreign Office. But hearing of a colleague was murdered in NYC and the priceless jewel missing, Nicholas comes to the USA to get answers. But what happens when the thief is always one step ahead of him and the FBI? I love Nicholas Drummond. The cat and mouse game he plays with the fox is fun, engaging and really enjoyable. The many twists and turns in the story kept me on the edge of my seat, eagerly flipping pages to see what happens next for Drummond, Mike and the gang. The characters are well written, entertaining and full of life. I could see Nicholas stride down a NYC street or having a bite in a Paris café. The secondary characters kept the story moving smoothly and were just as well written as the main characters. I enjoyed the new faces immensely and was intrigued by Sherlock and Savich that I pulled up their series to read next.

Ms. Coulter and Ms. Ellison deliver nonstop thrills with THE FINAL CUT that you will be hard pressed to put down. Fast paced and action packed, this is a thrill ride you won’t want to get off of. With a few twists and turns to keep you glued to the pages the ending will surprise you as well as intrigue even more. I am eager to see where these authors go in this new series of theirs. I look forward to more adventures with Drummond and the rest of the FBI cast in the future.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement





No comments: