Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Welcome to Kerrelyn Sparks' guest blog!

Kerrelyn Sparks Unveils Secrets

Today, the sixth book of the Love at Stake series will release. My first secret to unveil: I never knew the series would last this long! It all started with a two-book contract, and the series could have died there if not for the support of wonderful readers. At that point, when we didn’t know if the series would last, it didn’t even have a name. It wasn’t until the fourth book that we decided to name the series. I brainstormed with my critique partners, and we came up with Love at Stake.
The book coming out today is titled Secret Life of a Vampire. Here’s another secret: I was so frantically busy writing this book and the next one since they’re releasing back-to-back, that I never stopped to think up titles for them. I was simply calling the first one “Jack’s book” and the second one “Phil and Vanda.” My editor, Erika Tsang, at HarperCollins came up with the titles during cover conference where the editors meet with people from the sales, marketing, publicity, and art departments. That’s when they decide on a final title, how to market and publicize the book, and what kind of cover to do for it. And so, “Jack’s book” became Secret Life of a Vampire, and “Phil and Vanda” became Forbidden Nights with a Vampire. Here’s another secret: Forbidden Nights with a Vampire was already on sale and getting preorders at Amazon before I was finished writing it! You can imagine how frantic I was to get it done! Why was I running late, you wonder? Hurricane Ike came through the Houston area, and we were without power!
Secret Life of a Vampire stars Jack, aka Giacomo di Venezia. Remember the recent news article about a vampire found in a mass grave in Venice? What great timing! Jack is from Venice, too! And Jack has a few secrets. Not only is he a vampire, but he’s the illegitimate son of the legendary lover, Giacomo Casanova. And his deepest secret? He doesn’t quite have the confidence that his father did! The book opens with Jack throwing a bachelor party for Ian MacPhie (the hero of All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire) at the Plaza hotel in New York City. After a few rounds of Blissky (synthetic blood mixed with whiskey), the male vamps become too loud and rowdy, and the cops are called. The vamps teleport away, leaving Jack behind to handle the mess. Enter beautiful young police officer, Lara Boucher, who sees spilled blood on the carpet and walls and thinks a terrible crime has been committed! She’s on to Jack and determined to figure out his secrets. Can she do it without losing her heart?
Last week, I was at a writers’ conference in New York City, and when I told my editor about it, she invited me over to the HarperCollins building for lunch. This time, the secret was on me. Once they had me in their clutches, they dragged me into their video studio, sat me down in front of a green screen, and told me to talk! You can see the video here
. They actually divulged their secret the day before I left home, so I was somewhat prepared. And they did feed me lunch! If you’d like to see the book video for Secret Life of a Vampire. And there’s another book video for Forbidden Nights with a Vampire . As you can see, it’s no secret that I love book trailers! I hope you enjoy them. And the books!! I’ll leave you now with one last secret. I’m currently working on the eighth book in the series, and it stars another one of those hunky Scottish vamps, Robby MacKay!
Happy reading!
Kerrelyn Sparks


Contest: One lucky commenter will win a copy of All I want for christmas is a Vampire. The winner will be drawn tomorrow, so please check back here if you are the lucky winner. You will have 7 days to contact me. Good luck, Danny

Reviews of Kerrelyn Sparks' books:

All I want for christmas is a Vampire


The undead next door

27 comments:

robynl said...

what a busy woman you are/ I can't imagine having a book not finished and it is already on the net for sale. Yikes!!! Please enter me.

JeanMP said...

your books sounds great, I have to go find them
loved the book trailers, also
Please enter me.

Unknown said...

Oh wow Kerrely you have been a very busy lady. How did you manage to keep the series going so long? I have not read any of your books but would love to. I am very interested in this series so I am putting it on my wish list. Thanks for sharing.

Minna said...

Secret Life of a Vampire sounds great!

housemouse88 said...

You sound like one busy lady. Please enter me. Have a great day.

CrystalGB said...

Hi Kerrelyn. Happy release day. I love your Love at Stake series.

Lizzielvr said...

Hi Kerrelyn! You are absolutely awesome! I love all your books. I wait endlessly at the book store for the next one to come out (OK - I do go home, I can't sleep their).

Your charactors are great, stories are intriging and the humor is over the top! Keep on writing!

Lizzielvr said...

Hi Kerrelyn! You are absolutely awesome! I love all your books. I wait endlessly at the book store for the next one to come out (OK - I do go home, I can't sleep their).

Your charactors are great, stories are intriging and the humor is over the top! Keep on writing!

Pat said...

It just goes to show how many fans you have waiting for your books. Not even on the shelves yet, and people are ordering them!! That's really exciting!! But then again, the characters in your books are loads of fun to hang out with. I'm looking forward to these next two books. Congratulations on your run-away series!!

catslady said...

I've enjoyed some of your other books and this one sounds like I'd enjoy it too!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I haven't read any of these anthey sound really good. Thanks for sharing. :)

Dawn
LRC

Kerrelyn Sparks said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments! Glad you enjoyed the book trailers! Be sure to drop me an email or join the forum on my website, if you'd like to discuss any of the books.
Happy reading!
Kerrelyn

Anonymous said...

Yay, Kerrilyn!!

Great to see you here! I LOVE your books, keep them coming.

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com

Pat Cochran said...

"Happy Release Day!"

"Congratulations" on the success of
your great series! Being a Houston
resident, I know how trying it was
to be without power. How did you
keep to your writing schedule?

Pat Cochran

Mona said...

Congrats on Secret Life of a Vampire. Sounds really great.

Chris said...

I've been enjoying your series and now it seems I'm two behind! I'd love to win a copy of one of them.

The Brunette Librarian said...

Kerrelyn Sparks!! Woo!

I just wanted to say, I for one am happy your series has continued. :) Can you imagine if it had only been the original two books? Gasp!

You stand out with such great books!!

Love Romances and More Reviews said...

Kerrelyn,

as the liaison for your publisher each of your books come through me before they get snapped up -- and I do mean snapped up -- by our staff. There gets to be some stiff competition for each one. I have had the opportunity to read a few and I enjoy your unique perspective on those dashing men of the night! As I've read them I've thought you would be a hoot and a half to run around and party with. Are you?

Gina
co-owner Love Romances and More Reviews

Love Romances and More Reviews said...

Jean P -- Ms. Sparks' books are fabulous. She's got a great sense of humor that comes through in her characters. You definitely need to check her out.

Gina
Co-owner Love Romances and More Reviews

sgttibbs said...

Kerrelyn I just finished reading Secret Life.. and it is fabulous, wonderful, exciting!!!! I could go on and on. I fell in love with this series and look forward to Forbidden Nights next month.

Thanks for writing such wonderful books!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Kerrelyn,

I love reading your "Love at Stakes" series and happy new release day!

Definately enter me in the contest too!

Thanks,

Terri W.

Sue A. said...

Congrats on another release! The series sounds great! I definitely have to check it out!

Ana said...

I hope everything turned out alright after Hurricane Ike Kerrelyn, I didn't have time to get Secret Life today but def making a trip to B&N tomorrow! I can't wait for Robbie's story.

Caffey said...

Oh this series is absolutely fab!! I remember reading your first book Kerrelyn, I think the title was FOR LOVE OR COUNTRY or similar to that, in a group and that's how I've watched your books since! I'm so glad this new one is out. I sadly missed the Christmas one so I'm looking forward to both of these! And would love to be in the contest! Thanks!

I shall go check out the videos!!

tbranxiety @ yahoo . com

That's fab that they were selling before they were even written Kerrelyn! They are that special!

Kerrelyn Sparks said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by! I enjoyed reading all the posts. LOL on the staff here, competing for the books! I love it! Thank you LOve Romances for all your support, not just for me, but for all romance authors!

Hugs!
Kerrelyn

Jayne d'Arcy said...

Please don't ever stop writing your Love At Stake series. I'm terribly (wonderfully) hooked. Please enter me in the contest if it's not too late.

Dannyfiredragon said...

Sorry I am late with the winner announcement. The winner of Kerry's book is RachieG. Big congrats Rachie, I sent Kerry your e-mail addy. Enjoy the book, it's a great story