Thursday, March 18, 2010

MONTANA LEGACY by R.C. Ryan

Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Publication Date: March 2010
ISBN: 9780446548618
Contemporary Western Romance
Paperback
Obtained via: Publisher
Reviewed by Penny




Jesse McCord’s childhood best friends were his two cousins. Now with the death of their grandfather, Wyatt and Zane are back. And Jesse is not exactly thrilled with the family reunion. He is sure they will not last longer than a New York minute once they are faced with what it really takes to keep a ranch the size of the Lost Nugget. He is sure they are just there to get their hands on some long lost treasure that their grandfather was certain was buried somewhere on McCord land. And to make matters even more complicated, Amy Parrish is back as well, to care for her ill father. Amy is the one girl who touched Jesse’s heart and then broke it when she left without a word. Can he come to trust her when she offers to help him find the McCord treasure? Can he trust her again with his heart?


R.C. Ryan also writes under the name of Ruth Ryan Langan and is a New York Times best selling author. While I have not read any of Ms Ryan Langan’s books, I am sure she has penned a number of wonderful tales that readers will absolutely adore. Sadly, MONTANA LEGACY did not hit the spot with me.

First off, let me start by saying the format of MONTANA LEGACY that I read is an advanced copy, not the final published version. I hope the published one differs from the ARC that I read. The blurb on the back cover, in my opinion does not fit the storyline of the book. The blurb is all about Amy and there is much more to this story than just Jesse and Amy. Also, the blurb says that “Jesse’s not about to give her a second chance…” That lasted about a minute. It did not take very long before he was more than happy to let her back into his arms by my way of thinking.

Also, is this bad-ass group of guys that the McCord cousins get into a barroom brawl with cowboys or bikers? I hope that got sorted out in editing before MONTANA LEGACY hit the press. Oh, and just what is Amy’s father’s illness again? Oh that’s right…the book doesn’t say. That is frustrating.

The dialog through out the book felt stilted and forced, the characters are not well rounded and believable. These are supposed to be rough cowboys, but the prose that came out of their mouths was more belonging to a female. I just did not buy it.

While I struggled to finish this book, the who-done-it held a twist that was unforeseen. It was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed. Unfortunately had this been a book that I had bought to read for pleasure versus a review book I would have never made it to the ending. It is a case of too little, too late.

MONTANA LEGACY
was not a book for me. However, I sincerely hope that the next two books in the series, the cousins’ stories are huge successes.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book

No comments: