Friday, July 2, 2010

THE RECKONING by Kelley Armstrong

Publisher: Harper Teen
Date published: April 2010
ISBN: 978-0061662836
Young Adult, Paranormal
Hardback
Reviewed by Gina
Obtained via: Library


Chloe Saunders is still on the run with her friends Tori, Derek and Simon. Escaping the Edison Group and defeating the vile group's plans to kill them, they think they are relatively safe with Simon and Derek's family friend, Andrew. As each day passes they find their powers growing in leaps and bounds. When Andrew brings in some former Edison Group members to help the teens cope with their powers they quickly find out that the teens can outperform them. The quartet learns more about themselves and grow up fast in a matter of days. But all is not well. Two other werewolves are sent to kill Derek and Andrew's friends aren't as trustworthy as they would have the teens believe.

Without a doubt Kelley Armstrong is one of my all time favorite authors. While the Darkest Powers trilogy is billed as "young adult" they are super books for any age group. With hints of characters from her adult series I was disappointed to get to the end of THE RECKONING because I wanted to see where the teens go next. The door was; of course, open for further adventures at the end of the book.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of paranormals, but Ms. Armstrong's books definitely pull me in and once I start them I can't put them down. This one was a good read although some of the demonic characters and zombies turned me off. The story couldn't be told without them; they just aren't my thing. The ending left me a bit bemused. It tidied things up, no loose threads, but I felt like something was missing. That said, it is a definite read for any fans of Ms. Armstrong of paranormal books.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

1 comment:

DawnsReadingNook said...

I love this series. I need to grab this one when it comes out in MMP. Great review.