Monday, January 31, 2011

MINI SHOPAHOLIC by Sophie Kinsella

Publisher: The Dial Press
Date published: September 2010
ISBN: 978-0385342049
Chic Lit
Hardcover
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


Becky Brandon is enjoying motherhood. At last she and her daughter can become shopping friends. But Minnie has one word that she loves…mine! And she can’t always get what she wants and causes havoc everywhere. So much havoc in fact that they get banned from various shops and a few Santa grottos. Becky and her husband Luke are still living with Becky’s parents and it seems, that every house they think could be ‘the one’ has a jinx on it and the deals fall through. On top of all this, a financial crisis hits and everyone needs to cut back. Becky would really like to cheer Luke up and plans a party, the party of all parties, but it could prove to be more expensive than she plans. She needs help but doesn’t really want to accept help. And then there is Becky’s secret wish.

I haven’t read any of the ‘shopaholic’ books before, as they are not really the type of books I would pick up to read. I was however curious when I received this one as I know they are very popular. So, I dived in. Ms. Kinsella has a wonderful knack of creating a rollercoaster type of story with lots going on, then weaving it all together and giving her readers a very warm-hearted ending. At first, I was a bit annoyed with all the brand name dropping…Becky complaining about not being able to buy any clothes for almost a year and Minnie’s (her daughter) spoiled behavior. But nobody is perfect and I was quite charmed with all the characters and their interaction with each other. Ms Kinsella has another knack, and that is giving her readers characters that charm and worm their way into your heart.

This was a quick read for me, an entertaining read and a nice story that gave me a nice warm, emotional ending. I am sure that ‘shopaholic’ fans have devoured this one and I can recommend chic lit fans should pick this one up.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: