Tuesday, February 8, 2011

THE DEEP BLUE SEA FOR BEGINNERS by Luanne Rice

Publisher: Bantam
Date published: September 2010
ISBN: 978-0553589788
Contemporary Women's Fiction
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Penny
Obtained via publisher


Pell and Lucy’s mother left them when they were just young children. Now Pell is sixteen and has traveled across the world to Capri to reunite with her mother, Lyra Davis, and convince her to return home. Pell is surprised to learn that her preconceived notions of her mother are far from the truth. Family secrets will soon rock Pell’s orderly world.

I loved, loved, loved THE DEEP BLUE SEA FOR BEGINNERS. I have not read such a good women’s fiction story in quite some time. Luanne Rice did a superb job in creating characters that readers can relate to at any age. My one complaint is that there are many times the teenagers seem much older, in both dialog and actions. But for this reader, this was only a minimal distraction from the tale.

The storyline in THE DEEP BLUE SEA FOR BEGINNERS caught my interest from the very first page. My heart went out to both the sisters and their mother. I wanted to dislike Lyra, after all what kind of mother abandons her children, especially at such a young age? But Ms. Rice penned Lyra in such a way that I soon found myself sympathizing with her and I couldn’t help but liking her. Kudos to Ms. Rice, for her fantastic ability to construct such compelling characters.

It was not until after I read this book that I learned that it is actually a sequel to Ms Rice’s book GEOMETRY SISTERS. I have not read the first book and while reading THE DEEP BLUE SEA FOR BEGINNERS I did not feel that there was any information missing. This is truly a stand-alone book. However I have heard from other readers that GEOMETRY SISTERS is a fantastic book and well worth reading.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: