Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Check out What's New With Isabelle Rowan



How would you describe yourself using only five words?

Geek, aging-Goth, tattooed, vegetarian, pagan.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Zelda – I’m a total Nintendo geek and spend far too many hours in that world when I should be sleeping! I also get far too hooked on TV shows. Many guilty pleasures there: The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Criminal Minds, Dr. Who, most sci fi, etc.

Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you.

Not too many people know that I’m a member of the Australian Horror Writers Association. I’ve always had a thing for vampires, but love reading horror and am currently fiddling around with a few story ideas.

How do you get yourself in the mood to write?

The best way to get in the mood to write is have a strong black coffee in my favourite cafĂ©. If the muses are a little quiet I read over the last chapter or two and that usually wakens them up. I’m getting better at getting myself in the mood to write because I work full-time so actual writing time is precious.

Music can also help if I’m stuck. Each of my books and some individual characters have their own soundtracks. I listened to a lot of Sisters of Mercy while writing The Red Heart and the song ‘Flames’ by Vast will forever make me think of John and David in A Note in the Margin.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?

That’s actually a hard question, but I think I would suggest A Note in the Margin. It is set in Melbourne, but I believe the situation the characters find themselves in could apply anywhere in the world. My hope is that people not only enjoy it, but it might encourage them to look at the homeless in a different light. It is a heart-warming story that might just make you shed a tear or two.

On the other hand, if you like your men with fangs and tattoos – try Ink.


 

No comments: